Saturday, 23 March 2013

DAY 15

Today was my last day with the VM Team at GAP, It was quite sad having to leave as i had such a great experience working for them and helping them out with their Visual Merchandising! I've learnt so much from this experience, before i started working here i had never dressed a mannequin, done any sort of marketing or displays for a store.
My last day started off with snow - It had been snowing all over Birmingham during the night and the first task i was given was to put coats, jumpers or scarves on some of the mannequins. We had to make them not as S/S as they were before as the weather certainly wasn't warm. I'd never really thought about stores changing the mannequins like this to the weather. I had to change two downstairs as alot of them already had trenchcoats and denim jackets on and then went upstairs to Childrenswear and was allowed to change any of them that i felt needed a coat or a jacket to downplay the summer outfits. 







We were then asked to bring out some stock in the kidswear department, some of the stuff was new but some was just brining out stuff already out. Somehow there seemed to be no toddler hangers in the whole of the store so we had to take items off the shopfloor which were overstocked - we still made sure there was three of each size out but took the extra off the shelf to use the hangers for mainly all the new stock.

After Lunch, I was given the task of doing the mannequins for the denim section, they needed to look quite funky and out there but very layered. The women's section had on a shirt, denim shirt, a denim jacket AND a trench coat so it was very layered and took quite a while to fiddle about and make it look really neat. The Mens mannequin had a two t-shirts on which were on strategically to see both of them, a shirt and a coat. 






I was also asked to re-do a men's jumper display with hanging jumpers. I had to pick out new colours, make sure they were neat and steamed.

As it was my last day i was kindly gave a lovely card and an easter egg! 

I really enjoyed the last day and the whole experience, coming into the placement i was really nervous and didn't know what to expect and didn't really know what we would be doing. Everyone i worked with were absolutely lovely and so welcoming which made it easier for me. The early hours were slightly hard to cope with at first but i made sure to go to bed early to get up bright and early and the physical side of the Visual Merchandising was abit of shock, I never realised how heavy mannequins were and we had to carry fixtures which was a gym workout in it's self! I'm glad i can take away so many new skills from this placement!

Me and the other girls on placement with one of the managers!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely blog! Follow for follow? My blog is Ayeella@blogspot

    X

    ReplyDelete